Sudbourne Park is considered to be a rare example of a country estate in the Suffolk Sandlings. It lies at the heart of the former Sudbourne Estate, which was broken up in 1918. 530 acres of park remains in single ownership and its original landscape and structure are still largely visible, along with the remnants of its pleasure grounds, gardens and lake. The estate has an important connection with the family who endowed the Wallace Collection to the nation: Sir Richard Wallace owned the estate from 1871 to 1884.
By the start of the 21st century, the estate did not have the funds or access to grants to restore the historic features of the park which was a rapidly declining heritage asset. An enabling development strategy was developed, in collaboration with a team of land agents and architects, that aimed to conserve, restore and improve significant elements of the park and gardens. This was to be achieved through the construction of nine eco-homes within and adjacent to the walled garden. The commission included undertaking ecological and arboricultural surveys, an historic landscape appraisal and preparing a Conservation Management Plan to support the planning application along with a comprehensive Enabling Development Report.