Refurbishment of the Memorial Gardens built in 1938 as part of the New City Hall project with a centre-piece war memorial designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens. The practice’s commission included improved access for war veteran ceremonies, by raising the memorial to street level and turning it around to face City Hall and detailed planting proposals. Consultation was carried with specific interest and user groups, as well as the wider community. Guidance was provided on the requirements for waterproofing, drainage and planting mediums for the restored gardens. Final proposals were prepared for an application for planning permission and listed building consent.